Which Tile Grout Is Right For Me?
Recommendations to help you choose the right tile grout
1. Do you want the grout colour to stand out?
When you look at the tiles, do you want the grout lines to have an impact? Then choose a contrasting color that complements your tiles. The complementary color for a red tile is green; for a blue tile is orange, and for a yellow tile is purple. When placed next to each other, complementary colors make the other appear brighter, and more intense.
2. Do you want the tile to stand out?
Use a color grout that contrasts with the tile giving it a ‘checkerboard’ type effect – and your eye will see the tile note the grout.
3. Do you want the tile grout to blend (most common situation).
The tile grout colour should be as close to the tile colour as possible (most common method). Or you choose a color that is just a shade lighter / darker from the tile.
Choosing a dark grout with a light tile or a light grout with a dark tile will emphasize the geometric pattern of the layout.
4. Grout colours and cleaning
- Lighter grout colours are more difficult to clean (dirt / dust etc shows up more easily).
- Grey colors, light brown and tans are easier to clean, and the color does not fade away quickly. Grey color is a neutral color and also looks great with terracotta tiles.
- Grout colors like red, green and black are harder to clean. They may need a mild acid base cleaner.
5. Small vs Large Joints
If joints are small, use unsanded grout (in most cases however sanded can also be used). For big joints use sanded grout.
6. White Tiles
If you are not using pure white tiles, do not choose pure white grout. Pure white grout is too white and can look unnatural and unpleasant.
7. Epoxy Grout
Epoxy grout does not stain, get mouldy nor does it require sealing, however it is more expensive and more difficult to apply. Before using epoxy, natural stone should be sealed to prevent discoloration.
8. Glass Tiles
Sanded grout could be used with glass tiles.
9. Natural Stone
Some natural stone tiles are water sensitive. When grouting they may finish with a “picture frame look”. These tiles require a special type of grout (rapid set grout) or a special application method.
10. Sanded, Unsanded & Standard Grout brands
- Ardex, Davco and Laticrete brands have sanded, unsanded and standard grout
- Bostik (ASA), Construction Chemicals, CTA, Kemgrout, Mapei and Polyblend have standard and sanded grouts
GROUT COLOUR CONVERSION FOR SILICONES FOR DAVCO
CORNSILK-A53,CANVAS-A22,BONE-A17,CASHMERE-A53,MOCHA-A60,TAUPE-A72,IVORY-A17,RIVERSTONE-A53, GUNMETAL GREY-A13,BLACK-A16,WHITE-A2,CREMA-A17 OR N3,TRAVERTINO-A20 OR N27,MACHIATTO-A60 OR N28,OLIVE PIETRE-A29 OR N28,LIMESTONE-A20 OR N27,BASALTO-A7,MARBLE BIANCO-A2 OR N2,BLUESTONE-A13 OR N16,SILVERSTONE-A6 OR N12,GRANITE NOCE-A16 OR N18,TUSCAN CLAY-A23 OR MAPEI 139,DENNIN-A47,PALLADIUM-A9,BASALTO-A8 OR N14,COCOA-A74,DRIFTWOOD-A29,CINNAMON-A73,TRUFFLE-A24,TUMBLEWEED-A11,